Kamloops residential school

The B.C. First Nation whose discovery of unmarked graves on the grounds of a former residential school sparked a national reckoning over Canada’s treatment of Indigenous Peoples says it’s planning a new search.

The T’kemlups te Secwepemc says in a statement that a new round of ground-penetrating radar probing is set to begin this week near the former Kamloops residential school and will take about a month to complete.

The nation says Prof. Sarah Beaulieu of the University of the Fraser Valley will lead the search with support from the T’kemlups Natural Resources Department and Le Estcwicwey team, also known as The Missing team.

Timeline of Canada’s decision to bar Huawei, ZTE from 5G networks

Beaulieu also led the search of an apple orchard at the former school site last year that found 215 suspected graves after the discovery of a child’s rib bone and tooth in the area.

At the time, she said the search had covered less than a hectare and there was another 65 hectares to probe.

A memorial marking the anniversary of the discovery is planned for Monday.

If you wish to advertise on Brampton-news, please Contact Us.

(The Canadian Press, CFJC)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here