N.L., Sask. report 1st deaths; New York’s Central Park becomes field hospital
Canadian businesses and non-profit organizations that saw at least 30 percent decline in revenue due to COVID-19 will qualify for the government’s 75 percent per wage subsidy program, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Monday.
The number of employees will not be a factor in eligibility for subsidies, Trudeau said at a daily media briefing outside his residence at Rideau Cottage.
The certainty that comes after the head of the health of Canadians, Dr. Theresa Tam, urged Canada over the weekend to “stay strong” and leave it up to the steps as distancing physical and hand hygiene is right, said it would be a week that is important in the fight against COVID-19 this spread.
In Ontario the east, meanwhile, nine residents of long term care facilities have died COVID-19 complications since early last week, and the medical director of the facility said Monday they were all believed to be associated with the virus.
Brampton-news earlier reported that nearly three dozen members of staff at Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon, Ontario., Have experienced symptoms of COVID-19.
Across Canada, a domestic travel ban for those showing symptoms went into effect at noon ET Monday.
Abroad, the federal government says it has arranged for Canadians to fly home from several countries, including Honduras, El Salvador, and Haiti. It has also arranged flights for Canadians in Sudan, Ghana and Cameroon, who will travel to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on Monday to catch an overnight flight to Toronto.
Global Affairs Canada says more Canadians will come home from Spain, Ecuador, Algeria, Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Madagascar, Hungary and Senegal in the coming days.
On Monday evening, Liberal MP Sukh Dhaliwal tweeted that Canada has also arranged flights for Canadians in India and Pakistan.
— Sukh Dhaliwal (@sukhdhaliwal) March 30, 2020
MS Zaandam has passed through the Panama Canal after anchored on the west side with four people who were killed and nearly 200 passengers and crew showed flu-like symptoms. Holland America said some people onboard had tested positive for coronavirus. Have joined forces and are being assisted, with its sister ship Rotterdam.
Meanwhile, Air Canada will temporarily lay off more than 15,000 workers union began this week. The company said the two-month leave of absence will affect about a third of the management and administrative and support staff, including employees of the central office, in addition to front-line workers.
‘In the eye of the storm’
COVID-19 is a disease caused by a novel coronavirus, which first appeared in China in late 2019. For most people, it causes mild or moderate symptoms. Health officials say the elderly and those with underlying health problems are most at risk of severe disease and death, but they warn that younger people can also develop serious illness.
pandemic has the state scrambling to prevent the spread of the virus and rapidly improve the health system struggling with a lack of protective equipment. The government is also trying to overcome the economic collapse that accompanied the pandemic because many businesses to cut jobs, scale back operations or close.
As countries adopt measures such as physical distancing, the World Health Organization (WHO) has urged the government to ensure that the needs of vulnerable people meet – including food, sanitation, and other essential services.
“In implementing these measures, it is important to respect the dignity and well-being of all people,” said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, daily coronavirus during a press conference Monday.
Tedros said she was encouraged by the efforts of the G20 countries to work together “to improve the production and supply of essential products fair.”
“In the eye of the storm as COVID, scientific and public health tools are very important but so humble and kind.
“With solidarity, humility and assuming the best of each other, we can – and we will – overcome this together,” said Tedros.
Read on to see what is happening in Canada, the US and some other areas hard-hit.
This is what happened in the provinces and territories
Canadian provinces and territories have reported more than 7,400 confirmed and alleged COVID 19 cases – more than 1,100 cases have been listed as recovered or settled – even though public health officials have warned that the figures do not capture the full picture. That’s because there are people who have not been tested, people are still being investigated as the case may be, and those who were waiting for test results.
There are 92 COVID-19 deaths reported in Canada, plus two deaths-19-related COVID Canada abroad – one in Japan and one in Brazil.
In Ontario, the government on Monday night to extend the state of emergency by two weeks, maintaining the closure of non-essential work and restrictions on social gatherings. It also adds a command to shut down all outdoor recreational facilities, such as sports fields and playgrounds, effective immediately.
Brampton -news.com COVID-19 obtained a copy of the report issued daily by the Ontario Critical Care Service, a branch of the provincial Ministry of Health. The latest report, from Saturday, showed 92 patients in critical care wards have been tested positive for COVID-19, while another 342 ICU patients considered “suspect” cases. This means confirmed or suspected COVID 19 cases now account for about one of every four patients currently in the intensive care unit of Ontario – the first significant medical resources to be overwhelmed by the spread of the virus in Italy, Spain and New York City. Read more about what’s happening in Ontario.
Quebec reported another spike in cases – there are 590 new positive cases that were announced on Monday, bringing the total to 3430. The province, on Monday three people have died from the virus, bringing the total to 25.
Premier François Legault said daylight stat is that 78 people were in intensive care, an increase in only six cases. Legault said that, in order to give retail employees a break, the store will close on Sundays in April, with only pharmacies, gas stations, convenience stores and takeout restaurants remain open.
Newfoundland and Labrador recorded the first death due to the new coronavirus. Patient – a man retired in the Eastern Health region – died Sunday, three days after being admitted to hospital.
Prince Edward Island’s businesses and health resources are being forced to adapt as COVID-19 changes islanders’ needs and buying habits. Internet providers are reporting an uptick in demand, mental health and addictions support have moved online and rural grocery stores are experiencing significantly higher volumes as people attempt to shop local.
British Columbia’s health officer says the province is at a critical period in the pandemic. “We are not through the storm yet,” Dr. Bonnie Henry said.
Henry says the next two weeks mark a second incubation period for the disease as is urging people to follow public health advice because the number of cases hasn’t peaked yet. She says there are also 13 long-term care homes or assisted-living facilities with outbreaks, all in the Vancouver and Fraser Valley areas.
In Alberta, some people applying for a provincial one-time funding program meant to tide them over until federal supports are in place are having problems with the process. “It’s absolutely frustrating and I really do need it,” said one self-employed worker who is trying to access the Emergency Isolation Support program.
Saskatchewan has also recorded its first deaths related to COVID-19. The Ministry of Health announced two patients in their 70s died from complications related to the virus. It says they died in hospital in different parts of the province, and one was travel-related.
In Canada’s North, Yukon’s chief medical officer of health says there is one new case of COVID-19 connected to a cluster investigation on Saturday; the N.W.T government says it will administer a $2.6-million grant to help families buy the proper gear and supplies needed to head out to fishing and hunting camps as an alternative to physical distancing, and Nunavut announced a $5,000 relief grant for small businesses.
Nova Scotia confirmed its first case of community transmission on Monday. The province reported five new cases, bringing its total to 127 infections. It comes after Premier Stephen McNeil said over the weekend that the province will “escalate” their response to people breaking self-isolation rules. McNeil directed law enforcement to shift from education to enforcement, while Halifax Regional Police issued their first ticket under the Nova Scotia Emergency Management Act on the same day.
If you wish to advertise on Brampton-news, please Contact Us.